Tuesday, August 12, 2014

August Homework 2014

I am going to write about the town we live in.  I am married for more years and living here, than in my birth town.

We live in Jessup, Pa, a great little family town.  The next largest town close to use, is Scranton, which is my birth town.

Why, we even have our own exit:
       

Here is a little background history of Jessup.

Settled in 1849, the town of Jessup was named after Judge William Jessup. It was presented to the Luzerne County Court for incorporation as the Borough of Winton in December 1876. Two years later, Lackawanna County was incorporated. The early 1890s were very significant for the little town, as numerous new mining operations were opened. Shortly after these were opened, immigrants from Europe were lured to the area by the work available in the booming anthracite coal fields.

It was mostly Italian immigrants that came to Jessup in search of jobs in the coal mines, among others. They arrived via Ellis Island, New York in the late 19th century. The Italians who settled in Jessup, and the immediate surrounding communities, came mostly from small towns in the Region of Umbria, Province of Perugia. Gubbio, Gualdo Tadino, Scheggia, and Sassoferrato, for example, sent many hard working individuals to the Lackawanna Valley for economic opportunity. It was from Gubbio, Italy that the immigrants brought the annual festival known as Saint Ubaldo Day. This festival is still held to this day in only Jessup and Gubbio.

Gubbio, incidentally, is "Sister City" to Jessup resulting from a process that began in May, 1978 and was completed formally in May, 2004. As customary in Italy, Gubbio refers to Jessup as its "Citta Gemellata" or "Twinned City". 2009 will be celebrated as the 100th year anniversary of Saint Ubaldo Day in Jessup and numerous commemorative celebrations were planned by the Saint Ubaldo Society to mark the occasion.

To learn more about the Race of the Saints, click here.

We have a great playground/park area and a nice baseball field for the kids, and their games.




We have several restaurants in Jessup.  Our favorite breakfast and lunch place is called Richard's.  They are open only till 2 pm.  They make the best breakfasts and lunches!  We have several Italian restaurants, Marinno's, Pietro's, another eatery called Jessica's.  There are a few bar/sandwich shops as well.  

We also have a huge industrial park on Jessup Mountain, with lots of businesses opened in them, call centers, and we even house the Emergency 911 for all of Lackawanna County!

Jessup is a great family oriented town, a wonderful place to raise a family.  We have been very happy here.  I wish I had more pictures for this.   I promise I will do a better job on my homework assignment!

8 comments:

Jules said...

Hi Kathy!
I think your homework was great and it's always interesting to read about other people's towns. I have been pretty close to you in Scranton about 6 years ago. My husband had to go for training for his job. Beautiful area!

Also, I am the one in charge of doing the "grading" for these homework assignments, so not to worry about your grade. ;)

Kori said...

Hi Kathy!

I haven't heard of Jessup so it was nice to read about your hometown and it's history.

I really love that playground, I don't care how old I am, I will never get too old to play on a playground.

Hope that you have a great evening!

Toni said...

I loved it Kathy, It's a great town history. I would have loved going to the feast. I miss the ones we used to have in NY. Thanks for sharing my friend. Hugs

Judy said...

I think you did a great job on your homework Kathy! It's always wonderful learning about new places. You live in a beautiful area. We've driven through Pennsylvania a few times. Such a pretty countryside! Thank you for sharing & letting us into your little part of the world. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy! :)
Sure I remember you! :D
What a lovely hometown, and how interesting about the Italian immigrants.
Have a lovely day.

Lori said...

Wonderful homework Kathy!!! I loved reading about Jessup!! Very interesting. Sounds like a very nice town. Great work.
http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Susan said...

Hi Kathy, I enjoyed your homework. The picture in front of the wooden structure is nice too! I like the background on your homework page too! Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

Hi Kathy! I someone how missed your homework. Thankfully, the very sweet Judy let me know! Loved learning about your hometown. Jessup sounds like a really nice place. I'm fond of PA anyhow. :) Thanks for sharing and for participating in the CU assignment. Hugs